[IAEP] turtle art: 2 instances, no?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Sep 7 08:15:17 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

On 7 Sep 2009, at 12:09, Bill Kerr wrote:

> I can't see any way to load 2 instances on the SoaS version
>
> If I have a project loaded, saved and named
> Then go into the journal and try to load an older saved version then
> it doesn't load but puts me back to the current open version
> I have to first close the current version and then open the older
> version to get it

This is not a bug with TurtleArt. It's (in my view) the major design
backfire that is the "Keep" button... Keep is not like a copy,
duplicate or 'save as' file operation in other OS environments. Sugars
"Keep" is actually a (bad) attempt at "Keep version snap shot",
unfortunately no where in the Journal UI is this visually indicated/
referenced. Think of "Keep" a little like non-linear undo states
stored to Journal.

The problem with all this is that Sugar currently treats all versions
you "Keep" from an activity as the same activity. You can only have
one of the versions active at once, this is what you're seeing when
you try to resume (what you think is another old activity is actually
a version) and Sugar switches to the current version of it you already
have open.

To create fresh new activities, you need to:

1) start new activity
2) create masterpiece
3) stop activity
4) goto step 1

If you ever find yourself clicking "Keep" give your self a small jab
in the hand with a sharp protractor ;-)

In every release of Sugar to date, "Keep" == horrible design failure,
even for the upcoming 0.86. The problem is "the real deal" (true
versioning) is always just over the horizon, like the pot of gold at
the end of the rainbow, and the blasted button some how makes it
through (and causes way more grief then it ever solves as the common
use case is "I want a duplicate copy of this").

Regards,
--Gary