[IAEP] turtle art: 2 instances, no?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 10:55:12 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Bill Kerr<billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Bill Kerr<billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I can't see any way to load 2 instances on the SoaS version
>> > If I have a project loaded, saved and named
>> > Then go into the journal and try to load an older saved version then it
>> > doesn't load but puts me back to the current open version
>> > I have to first close the current version and then open the older
>> > version to
>> > get it
>> > Also if I am working on a project and remember an idea from a sample
>> > project
>> > then I can't just load the sample view the idea and then quickly return
>> > my current project to implement there
>> > I have to close current project, then open sample and view idea, then
>> > close
>> > sample, then reopen current project, etc.
>> > Please correct if I am wrong about this
>>
>> This is certainly not the intended behavior, nor what I had been
>> experiencing in my testing. Is this SoaS Strawberry? Which version of
>> Turtle Art are you running?
>
> hi walter,
> yes its  SoaS Strawberry, I can't see how to check the version but I haven't
> changed the default version - I just had a look at the source but couldn't
> see the version number there
>>
>> regards.
>>
>> -walter

You can check the version from the list view in the Home View.

If it is Strawberry, then updating Turtle Art will be a bit more
complicated that for most activities (Turtle Art is installed in
/usr/share/sugar/activities instead of the usual ~/Activities/).

from the Terminal:

su -
rm -r /usr/share/sugar/activities/TurtleArt.activity

reboot and then install a new version from activities.sugarlabs.org

http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/downloads/latest/4027/addon-4027-latest.xo

What you will get from more recent Turtle Art versions is a "snapshot"
button that works like "keep" but generates a new Activity ID. Only if
you have a new ID can you open a new instance at the same time as an
old instance.

BTW, did you know that you can copy/paste stacks to/from the
clipboard? You type Ctrl-C to copy whatever stack is under the cursor
to the clipboard. Ctrl-V will paste from the clipboard onto whatever
TA project you have open.

-walter

--
Walter Bender