[IAEP] 3D Objects in education?

cristian paul penaranda rojas paul at kristianpaul.org
Sat Oct 24 12:55:44 EDT 2009

hi

My name is Cristian Paul, i'm part of the local sugarlabs team in Colombia

Since the middle of this year i began thinking about how free/libre design electronics projects like arduino/sanguino/pinguino
could help to improve science learning in sugar, my first tought was about the use an arduino derivative
called pinguino [1], an try to make a small and cheap scope [2] (like measure) that can be attached to the computer that run sugar,
it will allow measure environment variables like temperature, light, resistence and  sound may be, this idea still in design
i got some parts of the software and hardware components but sugarize is not started yet.

What this have to do with 3D objets?, well i think some of you had read the post in olpc-news about
a repraped "view finder" for XO, that was made by reprap [3], well,  this new revolution about local/home fabrication
of 3D objects is opening a new path, and i think and believe some how, that education if one of then, but due the lack
of knowledge that i have about that field, ideas dont rise as i wish they do, besides make a case for my pinguino/arduino scope
and some puzzle games :P. I think 3D priting revolution can help as free software does, to improve educational processes.

So, i'm asking here, about ideas related with this "phisical computing" stuff plus 3D objets [4],  education and sugar environment.

In a moth or less i hope, i'll join this 3D priting revolution (got a reprap printer dervivate [5]),
so i'll be able to reproduce locally, cheap and with full autonomy 3D objets for almost any porpuse.

Critics, suguestions are wellcome, i really need to go beyond i know is posible, just need a bit of comunity help

Thanks for reading

saludos

Cristian Paul Peñaranda

[1] http://www.hackinglab.org/pinguino/index_pinguino.html