[IAEP] Deducto and Color Deducto activities - creating your own game mechanism

Manusheel Gupta manu at laptop.org
Tue Oct 27 16:19:45 EDT 2009

Caroline,

Appreciate your pointers and feedback.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com>wrote:

>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is cool thanks!
>>>

>> Is there a way to lower the floor?
>>>

>>   I am sorry, but I didn't get this part. Could you please elaborate.
>>

> One of the Sugar sayings is "Low Floor, No Ceiling" that is its really
> really easy to start, very little learning curve to climb, but you can still
> do powerful things as you learn more and more.

Caroline, completely agree. I think we should focus on simple geometrical
shapes for Deducto, as you mentioned below. We hope to cover primary lessons
in geometry through Deducto by the third week of December. Perhaps, that
might lower the floor.

In reference to Color Deducto, we are still thinking about a suitable
framework. Wish if you could suggest some ideas.

>>> Is there a version of this game that a 6 year old could have easy success
>>> with that would help ramp it up?
>>>

>> Wish if you could share your ideas on how we could work and improve on
>> this area. Will having a "hint" feature in the game that pops up after a
>> couple of tries, and after viewing 5-8 true boards and false boards makes
>> things better?
>>

> Hmm, I'm not actually very good at designing games but I suggest taking a
> look at the Sudoku game and Implode. Maybe start with a very small board and
> totally obvious rules?

Sure. I'll have a close look at Sudoku and Implode games. Thank you.

> How can we teach someone who can't read the instructions on how to play?

Workflows demonstrated through videos might help. Please have a look at
these videos

http://www.scalablec.com/videos/12/how-to-play-deducto?

http://www.scalablec.com/videos/13/how-to-play-colordeducto?

Kindly let me know your feedback on them.

>>> Suzanne, the 4th grade teacher at the GPA, has the students play a "Guess
>>> my rule" game with shapes. For example, "All right angles" "Only Triangles",
>>> "Two sides the same".
>>>

>> Very interesting. We will be working on developing lesson plans using
>> Deducto and Color Deducto this winter. This use-case will be explored in
>> detail before we implement this in the activities. Wish if you could provide
>> us with lesson plans that teachers at GPA would like us to implement in
>> these activities. Thank you very much for sharing these ideas.
>>

> Right now they play it with cut out shapes. One student makes a secret rule
> (e.g. all right angles) and the other student selects shapes and is told if
> they match the rule. They have to guess the rule.

Caroline, thank you. This information is indeed very helpful.

>>> Do we have a place to put game ideas so programmers could pick them up if
>>> they want a project?
>>>

>> Not at this juncture. We'll start this section within the next 2 days.
>>

> Great!

We have started Sugar-Devel Lounge at
http://seeta.in/wiki/index.php?title=Sugar-Devel_Lounge. Wish if you could
put up your ideas over there.

> Thanks for all the good work!!!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and support.

Regards,

Manu