[IAEP] GPA Report - Feedback on using the Journal - Stopping and Start New issues

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Oct 9 10:14:37 EDT 2009

hi Gary,
Start New is not working in the field. I can be standing behind a child
coaching them on every move of the mouse and I still can't get them to use
it.  The impulse to click on what the icon for what  they want to do is too
strong.  It takes too long to get to the drop down. The drop down is not
clear and if you think about its a quite complex mental model to understand
what is going on and what Start New is.  I literally can not get it to
happen in the field.

Also in this use case we did not use Stop because we did not want to Stop!
The kids desperately wanted to continue playing with Turtle Art, they just
had to save and write about their assigned work.  Clicking Stop when you
want to keep using an application is very counter intuitive.  And these kids
didn't just want to keep using Turtle Art they really really wanted to. The
kid next to them was already doing cool things.  It literally would have
been a battle for me to tell them they had to Stop.

Also it takes quite a while to start up an activity on an old computer. Who
wants to wait? Certainly not a 10 year old!

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove

617-500-3488 - Office