[IAEP] GPA Report - Feedback on using the Journal - Stopping and Start New issues

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Sat Oct 10 04:44:36 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 10:14:37AM -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> Start New is not working in the field. I can be standing behind a
> child
> coaching them on every move of the mouse and I still can't get them to
> use
> it.  The impulse to click on what the icon for what  they want to do
> is too
> strong.  It takes too long to get to the drop down. The drop down is
> not
> clear and if you think about its a quite complex mental model to
> understand
> what is going on and what Start New is.  I literally can not get it to
> happen in the field.

Thanks for reinforcing why "Resume by default" (in the home screen) is a
bad idea.
If you want to start from scratch, use the home screen (either ring or
list). If you want to resume working on an existing object, use the
Journal. No need to muddy the waters.
Yes, there is an issue with the Journal not being as "discoverable" as
the home screen (e.g. it doesn't have a shortcut key), but we should
rather fix that than the symptoms.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/