[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Feature Policy updated

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Nov 29 14:21:03 EST 2009

On 11/27/2009 09:00 PM, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 07:40:26PM +0100, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> * Backup up by the community *
>> The proposer of the feature has to get feedback from the community.
>> This includes technical feedback, feedback from the deployments etc.
>> See as well in the last paragraph about which points the community
>> might care. Of course there will be some different opinions in the
>> community - in general there should be more YES than NO in the
>> community for a feature to be able to get into a Sugar release.
>
> This puts the burden of interacting with deployments on each individual
> feature proposer (but away from the core developers, which is a good
> thing).
> How is that supposed to happen (getting feedback from deployments)?
> Writing to iaep? What if nobody replies to those messages (e.g. because
> it doesn't matter to them either way), will the feature be rejected even
> if it's a good idea? (*)

Yes, sending an email to sugar-devel - see here the section community
consensus [1]. So deployments for example interested in the evolution of
the Sugar platform should read sugar-devel and watch out for the
[FEATURE] tag. Of course not only deployers are invited to comment.

The idea is to have the submitter of a Feature taking care of getting
the feedback. He is the one that knows best about the feature. It is
good practice to interact with the community, too. The release manager
is just there to make sure the process is done correctly.

> (*) Obviously "good idea" is quite subjective, but I assume you
> understand what I mean.

I guess we have to use common sense for that. There are guidelines [2]
what you should thinks about before proposing a feature. I hope we don't
see dead ends often. If we do, we can create a board that solves such
conflicts - like the oversight board (not sure if it is the same board
or if it has to be a different one).

Regards,
    Simon

[1]