[IAEP] versus, not

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Fri May 8 23:29:23 EDT 2009

Kathy, Project Follow Through was comparing a specific "direct instruction"
curriculum with various other unspecified curricula to teach early  primary
grade skills.  It was also conducted over 30 years ago.  I don't think it
has much to tell us about the way to teach mathematical thinking and problem
solving (as distinct from basic calculation algorithms) in higher grades.
Having said that, I am sure that there is a place for the sort of
instruction described in the rubric you pointed to when specific methods and
categories are taught.  The rubric seemed quite sound as a way to
unambiguously teach bite-size pieces of information in a good sequence.  I
just think that you aren't talking about the same thing as others who are
discussing the benefits of using constructionism.