[IAEP] versus, not

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Thu May 7 09:33:31 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maria Droujkova writes:
>
>> I think it may be useful to distinguish tracks, and destinations to
>> which they lead. The real deal destinations are to make mathematics:
>> coin definitions and refine them, pose problems, form conjectures,
>> construct example spaces, create models and so on. Activities with
>> real deal destinations invite students to make mathematics; this is
>> the part where I get pretty "religious" and I suspect Tim does, as well.
>
> I don't think this is a proper expectation.
>
> Gym class isn't expected to create pro or Olympic athletes.
> Music class isn't expected to create pop stars. Native language
> class isn't expected to create a J. K. Rowling, Shakespeare,
> or Tom Clancy.
>
> Math isn't any different.

I agree that math should not be different, but currently it is. Native
language class students are expected to write original essays, not
bestsellers; and music schools include composition exercises that
aren't expected to land on Broadway. Math should not be different. I
do not expect students to coin dictionary-worthy definitions, pose
Nobel-level problems, form paradigm-shifting conjectures, or construct
example spaces as complex as Reimann geometry or quaternion
arithmetic. They have to do all these activities at their own level,
with a lot of support.

--
Cheers,
MariaD

Make math your own, to make your own math.

http://www.naturalmath.com social math site
http://groups.google.com/group/naturalmath our email group
http://www.phenixsolutions.com empowering our innovations