[IAEP] SoaS Strawberry release debrief - iaep

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 26 11:35:01 EDT 2009

I have started a thread for each individual ml; systems, devel, and
marketing to collect ideas about what went right and what we can learn
from the SoaS - Strawberry release.

A debrief is not necessary about finding solutions, it is more like a
semistructured brainstorm session 'get down on paper' ideas while they
are fresh in people minds.

If we do it correctly, the debrief can set the stage for the next
iteration.  Wash. Rinse, Repeat....

Over all things went well.  The biggest issue is how we define Sugar
on a Stick the relationship between Sugar Labs and SoaS.

To give a way the ending so it is transparent where I am coming from.

Long term, SoaS should be distribution independent 'class of products'
which conveys the idea of running the Sugar Learning Platform from a
portable memory device.

Short term, Sugar Labs, will need to selectively foster a specific
release such as Sugar until it is viable for other communities and
organizations to support the market.

1.  SoaS is fundamentally a distribution level project not a platform
development project.
2.  SoaS is a larger movement that just SL.  As such SL should focus
on enabling the lager community to take SoaS and do what they want
with it.
3.  SoaS is a great way to get Sugar into the hands of users.  SL
should promote SoaS however possible.
4.  SL should use clear language when talking about SoaS as generic
idea and distribution specif implementations.

These goals, need to be tempered with the reality that the open source
development model depends a projects being 'valuable enough' for
others to make the effort to use and improve the product.

The tension is between SL 'making the market' yet not 'crowding out'
potential contributors and partners.

david