[IAEP] SoaS Strawberry release debrief - iaep

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 20:42:23 EDT 2009

*Some feedback:

Persistent storage overlay*
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Strawberry#Windows_Users
6. Set the *Persistent Storage* slider to at least 160 MB (use more if you
have a drive with more space);

This confused me until I did some tests and discovered that if you don't do
this then activities are not saved on the stick
When I did move the persistent storage slider to the end then after making
the stick looked at properties the stick was full and I thought this might
mean that you couldn't save (the opposite of what the words say)
When the above says "to at least 160 MB (use more if you have a drive with
more space)" this implies that there is some (unstated) reason for not
moving the slider automatically to the end
Suggested rewording:

6. Set the *Persistent Storage* slider to the maximum so as to ensure that
you can save your Sugar work onto the USB

*Press release links*
You need about 5 clicks to get from the press release link to strawberry
Don't make users click unnecessarily - press release should go straight to
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Strawberry#Windows_Users

*Some improvements*
The current strawberry looks like a huge improvement on what was available a
year ago (through Wolfgang) - thanks and congratulations to all involved. I
have only done a few tests so far but the ability to save on the stick is a
huge improvement. Also:

- when saving in turtle art a name your project box appears automatically
- the fast and slow icon feature in turtle art is great for learning
- also the TA feature that enables you to save the code as text logo (nice
surprise)
- I like the xo icon that that appears on the RHS persistently allowing for
a quick shutdown from wherever you are (enhanced navigation)
- more interesting pippy examples with graphics on top is great
(I've only played with it for 5 minutes, no doubt will find many more, so
thanks)