[IAEP] Virtual World clients for Sugar

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 26 11:12:29 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Daynuv<james at daynuv.com> wrote:
> We work with schools in developing immersive environments for
> education based on Opensim - the opensource version of Second Life. In
> order to access an Opensim world one needs a variant of the
> opensourced Second Life client. Hippo and Meerkat are two such
> clients.
>
> We would love to see one of these clients becoming part of Sugar as it
> could open up the next generation of 3D learning to all. For the last
> 5 months I have been running the Second Life client on a standard
> netbook (Dell Mini 9) without problem. Sure, the graphics are not top
> notch but it still suffices as a fine entry point.
>
> As I am new to, and very excited by, this project please let me know
> how I can help to make this a reality.

The first steps would be to make sure the one of the clients will run
using the Sugar stack.
Then, it is a matter of Sugarizing the clients and packaging it as an
.xo bundle.

The best way to do that is to log on to irc.freenode.net#sugar and ask for help.

Please ping me back if you need more help getting started.

david