[IAEP] irc logs

Mel Chua metamel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 04:54:19 EST 2009

> -1 Mel

Ah, sorry - I wasn't clear. I was agreeing with the statement that "nobody
interested in comprehending the logs will not have
(or be granted) a shell account from which they can just run irssi and take
care of the logging themselves," and submitting an alternative proposal
based on that statement to see whether it clarified the arguments that
people had on the topic - I was kinda hoping someone would take it out to a
reductio ad absurdum, but should have just done that myself. (

My actual votes, for what it's worth:

+0 for the "publicly document/encourage the private logging process"
proposal I put forth earlier. If privacy concerns really outweigh the
overhead to individual loggers this would incur, we should at least make it
so that *everyone* has private logs, at which point the argument against
public logging is much weaker (see reductio ad absurdum, above).
+1 for public logging of #sugar (and #sugar-meeting, which is already
partially logged by meetbot).
-1 for logging without a clear "This channel is being logged at this URL"
message in the channel topic.
+0 for allowing search engines to crawl logs, with the minor optional
request that email addresses be obfuscated (handy-dandy regexp for finding
emails: \b[A-Z0-9._%+-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4}\b)

In general, I value consensus on this topic more than I value my exact
particular views being implemented, so this ends my chiming-in on this topic
as well.

--Mel