[IAEP] irc logs

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 04:22:56 EST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Luke Faraone wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Ties Stuij <cjstuij at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>       If I may summerize: after counting all the votes/opinions here
>       and on
>       irc (but how can we check?), it's mostly for and no real against
>       having #sugar logged.
>
> I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion.
>
> Martin and I both were against logging, citing its "chilling effects" among
> other things.
>
> Jameson requested that logging be noindex'd, otherwise he'd be against it.
> (while not "blocker" against)

You cannot be both for and against transparency.  As a community, we
cannot both demand that leadership discussions happen out in the open,
while at the same time refusing to have our own public conversations
recorded.  It doesn't work that way.

> Bernie proposed a reasonable solution that can be implemented without
> infringing upon anyone's privacy: private logging done by a user on a shell
> account, as is the norm for most IRC conversations.

How is this better than logging automatically, which has the exact same
effect, except that everyone has access to the logs, instead of only those
who choose to keep the logs?

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]