[IAEP] [SLOBS] Governance.

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Feb 5 18:29:22 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 08:14:22PM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
>Here is my short-term suggestion:
>
>Why don't we appoint you as a monitor of the slobs list.

No, thanks -- I don't feel that I can be responsible for SL's organizational
conscience. Instead, I believe that this is something that we each must be
responsible to ourselves and to one another for maintaining.

> Any message that you think should be public, send to iaep (blipping out names
> if necessary).

I wouldn't want such a monitor to publish documents that the audience couldn't
agree among themselves to publish -- that would be neither transparent nor
consensus-based. On the other hand, if the audience can agree to publish the
materials, then why not just send the messages to iaep@ in the first place?

> That'll prevent us form inadvertently keep secrets from the community.

More likely, it will lead people who are on the fence about transparency and
consensus-based decision-making to communicate by means of a different
side-channel than slobs at .

Perhaps a better solution would be to find ways for people who are on the fence
about transparency to adjust to its requirements while still achieving their
true ends?

Regards,

Michael