[IAEP] Physics - Lesson plans ideas?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Aug 15 15:29:17 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

Not sure if you wanted answers :-)

On 15 Aug 2009, at 02:51, Bill Kerr wrote:

> I might try these next week and see how they go:
>
> does altering the size of an object affect its drop time?

No

> does joining objects together (large and small) affect drop time?

No

Remember, you can run all cases at once! Just pause the simulation.
Add a box right across the horizontal middle of screen. Pin it at left
and right edge so it's fixed. Then across top half of screen add a
large sphere, a small sphere, a couple of linked objects. Play the
simulation so all shapes land on the horizontal pinned box. Pause
simulation again, and delete the horizontal pinned box. Now you're all
set up, shapes all aligned up for their race to the ground :-) Play!

> does altering the length of a pendulum affect its swing time?

Yes.

For more advanced, you might like to try a 'split pendulum', and get
to see a slow and fast swing in one cycle (some thing like the
attached image works fine).