[IAEP] Books Books Books

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed Apr 29 13:34:34 EDT 2009

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> In actuality, actually. Not just Project Gutenberg, but Wikibooks,
> Creative Commons, and others. See, in particular,
>
> http://www.librarianchick.com
>
> for textbooks on any and every subject.

I just checked out that site.  It has a nifty search that seems to index
every source of books *except* Internet Archive and Gutenberg.  Make
links to this site and the other two on the Browse start page (or
something linked to it) and you'll have pointers to more content than
you could read in several lifetimes.

> Students will need more than the bare texts. At least a dictionary of
> Elizabethan English, and preferably some of the books that Shakespeare
> himself read, such as Aristotle's Poetics, Plutarch's Lives, and
> Holinshed's Chronicles.

In high school I had a teacher who did a reasonable job teaching _Julius
Caesar_ and _Romeo and Juliet_ without referring to any other texts.
She didn't do nearly as well teaching _The Martian Chronicles_.  Maybe
we should have studied the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Henry Kuttner,
and Stanley G. Weinbaum at the same time.

James Simmons