[IAEP] Books Books Books

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 00:29:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Caroline Meeks <solutiongrove at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes!  In theory

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is
no difference, but in practice there is."

> there are thousands of free books.

In actuality, actually. Not just Project Gutenberg, but Wikibooks,
Creative Commons, and others. See, in particular,

http://www.librarianchick.com

for textbooks on any and every subject.

> We need people to be
> able to experience that there are books available for Sugar when they try
> Sugar.
>
> I like the idea of hooking the readers to a library. I don't know how much
> work that is or who is available to do it now.
>
> Does anyone know where we are in terms of books on the activities portal?

We can easily put together a set of bookmarks. What form should books
be in for the School Server?

There are supposed to be a Bible and a Qur'an for the XO. I know where
the texts are for a dozen other religions, if anybody is interested in
providing them.

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> James,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply...
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 05:07:15PM -0500, James Simmons wrote:
>> > [I]f you want to download books from Gutenberg to the XO
>> > check out Read Etexts and see what you think.
>>
>> Thanks - will do.  And please know I'm just muttering from the peanut
>> gallery - I'll put my code where my mouth is sometime, hopefully, but
>> I can't now, sorry.  So please feel free to ignore me.
>>
>> The scenario I was imagining was:
>>
>> Teacher: Can I get my class to read Shakespeare in Sugar?
>>
>> Imaginary SL person: Sure, just click on "Read ETexts" and then the
>> "Find Books" tag.  Type "Shakespeare", and go from there [at which
>> point project gutenberg, journal items with a special tag, and other
>> sources are queried filtered by "Shakespeare" to show what books are
>> available for reading].

Students will need more than the bare texts. At least a dictionary of
Elizabethan English, and preferably some of the books that Shakespeare
himself read, such as Aristotle's Poetics, Plutarch's Lives, and
Holinshed's Chronicles.

>> > James Simmons
>>
>> Martin

> Caroline Meeks