[IAEP] Books Books Books

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 29 09:51:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:39:52PM -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> Yes!  In theory there are thousands of free books.  We need people to be
> able to experience that there are books available for Sugar when they try
> Sugar.
>
> I like the idea of hooking the readers to a library. I don't know how much
> work that is or who is available to do it now.
>
> Does anyone know where we are in terms of books on the activities portal?

I've just initiated Library activity. The major ideas were:

  * to have central mechanism to access to shared(by other users or
    activities portal) objects(not only activities)
    "shared" means not shared in running activities but in terms of
    "sharing books from your bookshelf"

  * fix LTPS issue - then we need all activities that should be
    preinstalled on client machines packaged into rpm/deb/etc.
    with new mechanism we could preinstall/upgrade bunch of
    activities(Journal Objects) w/o need of packaging them

  * implementation in activity(not in Shell/Journal) because we already have
    0.82 and 0.84 platforms w/o this feature, new mechanism intended to support
    all platforms beginning from 0.82

  * support "offline" mode when user who has internet connection could
    download all objects from Activities Portal and share them for
    others users

  * objectless sharing when only metadata will be shared

  * patch activities.sugarlabs.org to support this mechanism
    Activities Portal will be just another sugar user with Library activity

So, with new mechanism implemented you could put your book to Journal,
register(or so) it in Library activity and share it for other users
(including Activities Portal)

--
Aleksey