[IAEP] SoaS on a Mac: Further Adventures

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 00:33:47 EDT 2009

Hello,

I wanted to report on my progress with SoaS on my MacBook.  I still haven't got the USB version working, but, as I mentioned yesterday, I did get SoaS running with Virtual Box.

I was surprised how few programs were shown.  Are others hidden but included?  How are they accessed?

I downloaded TamTam Mini and Record.  The sounds in TamTam worked but the quality was really bad....sounded faint, tinny, and almost like there was static (like old-time radio or really old recordings...think Scott Joplin or Enrico Caruso).

Record could not access the camera on my Mac, nor was it able to access the microphone.  So it just sat there.

Do these programs work better on PCs?

Caryl

P.S. (Very Long!)
On the discussion of whether it is worth developing SoaS for Power Macs ... I asked several teachers and tech coordinators at the InfoTech event today what computers they had in their schools and how long they expected to keep them.

First, I was surprised to find so many schools with PCs!  As one person told me, "The district has Macs but the schools have PCs.", and in may cases this seems to be true.

However, there was evidently a large purchase of G5 Power PC machines earlier in this 2008-2009 school year.  As usual, Mac was probably clearing out the old stuff at bargain basement prices and the schools were snapping them up. This always happens.  They bought them with an extended warrantee which she thought was for 5 years (more likely 3 or 4). So, these machines will surely be in service long enough to consider them in the SoaS plans.

I also talked to some folks who are still using some very old Power PC Macs and have no hope of getting anything new (LAUSD is laying off teachers, not buying computers).

My guess is that this situation is probably pretty typical of other districts around the country.