[IAEP] SoaS on a Mac: Further Adventures

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 09:17:15 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hello,
>

> I wanted to report on my progress with SoaS on my MacBook.  I still haven't
> got the USB version working, but, as I mentioned yesterday, I did get SoaS
> running with Virtual Box.
>

> I was surprised how few programs were shown.  Are others hidden but
> included?  How are they accessed?

There maybe more under the list view. When you are in the home view you will
see a little icon in the corner with lines. Try that. Only stared activities
show up in your circle.

> I downloaded TamTam Mini and Record.  The sounds in TamTam worked but the
> quality was really bad....sounded faint, tinny, and almost like there was
> static (like old-time radio or really old recordings...think Scott Joplin or
> Enrico Caruso).

That sounds worth a bug report. dev.sugarlabs.org

> Record could not access the camera on my Mac, nor was it able to access the
> microphone.  So it just sat there.

Are you using Record version 62?  The camera worked on my iMac so if it
doesn't work on yours please file a bug report.  The sound did not work on
my mac.

> Do these programs work better on PCs?

Some of them.  We are working on supporting more hardware and making steady
progress but we have a ways to go. Having people test is important part of
that process. Thanks.

> Caryl

> P.S. (Very Long!)
>
> On the discussion of whether it is worth developing SoaS for Power Macs ...
> I asked several teachers and tech coordinators at the InfoTech event today
> what computers they had in their schools and how long they expected to keep
> them.
>

> First, I was surprised to find so many schools with PCs!  As one person
> told me, "The district has Macs but the schools have PCs.", and in may cases
> this seems to be true.
>

> However, there was evidently a large purchase of G5 Power PC machines
> earlier in this 2008-2009 school year.  As usual, Mac was probably clearing
> out the old stuff at bargain basement prices and the schools were snapping
> them up. This always happens.  They bought them with an extended warrantee
> which she thought was for 5 years (more likely 3 or 4). So, these machines
> will surely be in service long enough to consider them in the SoaS plans.
>

> I also talked to some folks who are still using some very old Power PC Macs
> and have no hope of getting anything new (LAUSD is laying off teachers, not
> buying computers).
>

> My guess is that this situation is probably pretty typical of other
> districts around the country.

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com