[IAEP] Teacher in Uruguay enchanted to see his ideas integrated into global Sugar update [pr mockup]

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 20:41:57 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Carol Lerche <cafl at msbit.com> wrote:
> The reactions to my post remind me of the story of the lumberjacks

Fantastic story. However, in practice a CMS is often inferior to a
wiki in that it appoints "keepers". The cook amongst the lumberjacks
has to cook daily and cannot decide not to feed a particular
lumberjack. The keepers of the CMS can get antagonistic, or just
ignore their duties, and that just kills community collaboration.

Same with CVS and SVN - the centralisation spawns politics.
Distributed control is the right thing -- for all its flaws, the wiki
*social dynamic* rules -- you get lots of contnet, perhaps a bit
disorganised, and a thriving community around it. CMSs are
hierarchical and mere observation shows what they do to community.

All the observations that Linus Torvalds (in various flamerwars :-) )
has made on the social and political flaws of CVS and SVN apply
squarely to classic CMSs. Clay Shirky's "Designing social software"
essay is also relevant here.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions