[IAEP] squeak/etoys accepted into Debian main

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Sat Nov 8 03:11:56 EST 2008

At Sat, 8 Nov 2008 07:03:28 +0100,
Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> I lost you there: Do you mean to say that the intend of the Squeak
> license is to make sure a US company can earn money from selling Squeak
> to Cuba - and that the company is "punished" economically by Cubans
> instead "stealing" the free software?
>
> Or do you mean to say that it does not matter how a US company interacts
> with Cuba, it will get punished by the US government for doing so.

  What I mean is that no matter what a license says, if a US entity
may get punished by the US goverment if the entity sells goods to Cuba
because the US embargoes Cuba.  I don't know if a US entity can give
something to Cuba.

> I care about free flow of software. I care not for liberal abilities for
> economic profit. I care not about the money!

  My point wasn not about profit making or such.

> I do not know the Squeak license and its intend. If it intends to favor
> protection of the owner from punishment over the bloom and widespread
> use of the software itself, then most certainly I believe that adjusting
> the license to being DFSG-compliant has been a "loss".

  The old Squeak License is not (will not be) used so it is
irrelevant.  But the original intention was of course to protect Apple
from potential problem when somebody exports "the Apple Software" to
embargoed countries.

-- Yoshiki