[IAEP] squeak/etoys accepted into Debian main

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 22:59:42 EST 2008

>> If teachers and children don't care, then the reason is simply that they
>> got someone else to do that boring (and perhaps complex) task for them.
>> It still needs doing. I suspect the same applies to you (Edubuntu is a
>> distribution too!).
>
> What I meant is that this crowd normally doesn't get stuff from their
> distribution which isn't pre-installed. So not only would you have to
> put it into main but it would also have to appear in the "applications /
> development" menu by default (supposing Edubuntu uses Gnome - I am not
> familiar with it. Perhaps I should mention here that I design Smalltalk
> computers for children and only deal with Linux as a normal user rather
> than a developer).

Now there is a misunderstanding of what edubuntu us. It is _not_ a
distribution, it is simply an add-on cd which contains all the
educational applications that are currently supported by Canonical.
This means, that when a user downloads this cd and puts it into the
computer, a. he must have an ubuntu installation already, and b. the
computer then asks him which packages he wants to install from a
simplified menu. All packages always appear in the applications menu.

Edubuntu is also the name of the community, which chooses and manages
the educational apps that should go into that cd. This is why edubuntu
and not just debian are important in this discussion. It has been well
documented now that squeak can go into debian, we know that now, but
the question really is about it getting onto the edubuntu add-on cd,
which teachers do use, in large classrooms the world over.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche