[IAEP] squeak/etoys accepted into Debian main

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Nov 8 01:03:28 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 09:12:34PM -0800, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>At Sat, 8 Nov 2008 05:56:39 +0100,
>Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>
>> >  (In regards to whether it is just a philosophical checkbox, I tend
>> >to think so.  If a company makes a product based on an open-source
>> >project and sells it to Cuba from the US, the company may be
>> >punished regardless what its license says.)
>>
>> The Cuban government would not hardly buy an american commercial
>> distillation of a FLOSS software product. Rather they would buy
>> know-how on creating their own derivative distribution based directly
>> on Debian, which is completely legal.
>
>  Sure.  That is (almost) my point.  So whether the license wants to
>protect the original company like the Squeak License does, they can get
>the know-how.

I lost you there: Do you mean to say that the intend of the Squeak
license is to make sure a US company can earn money from selling Squeak
to Cuba - and that the company is "punished" economically by Cubans
instead "stealing" the free software?

Or do you mean to say that it does not matter how a US company interacts
with Cuba, it will get punished by the US government for doing so.

My point was different: I believe that with DSFG licensed software
Cubans do not "steal" access to it, they are legally granted acces, so
can openly subscribe to up-to-date releases and interact with upstream
developers for improvements.

If US companies are punished no matter the licensing, then US companies
are irrelevant for discussing the relevancy of licensing.

A danish company is not punished for doing business with Cuba, but might
be punished for violating a license.

I care about free flow of software. I care not for liberal abilities for
economic profit. I care not about the money!

I do not know the Squeak license and its intend. If it intends to favor
protection of the owner from punishment over the bloom and widespread
use of the software itself, then most certainly I believe that adjusting
the license to being DFSG-compliant has been a "loss".

  - Jonas

- --