[Its.an.education.project] Sugar on the EEE PC

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed May 7 22:03:17 CEST 2008

The only reason for the specific canvas size for the SVGs is to ensure
proper visual weight.  A circle and a square, each with a width of
45px, do not appear to be the same size since the circle is inscribed
wholly within the square.  Without a fixed canvas we would have to
scale everything so that its maximum dimension reaches the "desired
drawing size", which would result in inconsistent visual weights of
various icons when drawn side by side.

The limitation was made to make developer's and designer's jobs easier
in the long run, not harder.  If there are suggestions on how to
improve this, I'm certainly open to them.  I spent a lot of time a few
weeks back working on the wiki page for making Sugar icons
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Making_Sugar_Icons), which includes step by
step instructions, template files, and a link to a script which can
insert proper entities and can also export HTML previews of the icons.
 The page isn't done yet, but it's a big step in the right direction,
I hope.

- Eben