[Its.an.education.project] An "About" statement? (Was: untangling constructionism)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon May 5 06:52:48 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for the feedback walter and edward on my summary suggestions for
> "About". Here's an attempt to improve it further (numbered only for
> convenience of discussion):
>

>  "it's an education project"
>

> 1) Learning practice and theory needs to evolve as technology evolves, so we
> need to discuss constructionism and other learning theories and how they
> work in practice

s/discuss/research/

>  2) We need to build a richer dialectic between the overlapping communities
> of software developers and educators

s/build a richer dialectic/open a wider conversation/

> 3) Sugar software development can serve as a tangible structural
> underpinning

underpinning of...?

> 4) understanding Suagr's educational importance is a current focus
>  of this discussion list

s/Suagr/Sugar/

Of course, we are also considering what sort of organization we might
create, with what vision and mission.

I like a vision of One Education Per Child, but I'm open to discussion.

The mission needs to include various aspects of Sugar, of course, and
various other R&D.

* Support of the 2nd generation hardware from OLPC, which Kim Quirk
promises to tell us about soon, and the Pixel Qi $75 laptop, among
others.
* I'm for organizing some new kinds of research on Constructionism,
with and without computers,
* and on the social, political, and economic consequences that might
be expected to follow.
* Getting children and other stakeholders into the conversation. In
two or three years I expect to see children doing a lot of the
development, localization, textbook writing, and much more.
* Conferences?
* A journal?
* Partnerships?

> discussion:
>
> 1) indicates that this list *will* discuss learning theories and not only
> constructionism (previously it was just a feel good motherhood statement)
> 2)  "bridge" is replaced by "richer dialectic"
>
> dialectic means interpenetration with the prospect of transformation
> "richer" implies that there is already some mutually beneficial dialogue b/w
> the two communities
> "overlapping" means that developers already have opinions on education and
> that some educators may already be developers or can contribute 3 and 4) no
> change from Walter's wording
>

> I agree with Edward that the "bridge" metaphor is limited - as well as the
> reason Edward gives (that a bridge assumes permanent separation) there is
> also the reason that bridges tend to be built from known point A to known
> point B - you can't build a bridge to a destination you haven't arrived at
> yet
>
> wrt Edward's list of constructionist software:

Best Practices page on Wiki started. I need to link to it from other
appropriate pages.

> a) we shouldn't be prescriptive in an "about" statement

Quite right. The resource directory needs to be a project in itself.

> b) you can also have constructionist learning without any software at all -
> if we are going to talk about what Sugar and the OLPC is good for then that
> implies talking about things that it is not good for, ie. which can be
> better done without computers

Agreed, as mentioned above. Also, where a judicious combination of
computer and real-world discovery is appropriate.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/