[Its.an.education.project] An "About" statement? (Was: untangling constructionism)

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon May 5 05:24:04 CEST 2008

thanks for the feedback walter and edward on my summary suggestions for
"About". Here's an attempt to improve it further (numbered only for
convenience of discussion):

"it's an education project"

1) Learning practice and theory needs to evolve as technology evolves, so we
need to discuss constructionism and other learning theories and how they
work in practice
2) We need to build a richer dialectic between the overlapping communities
of software developers and educators
3) Sugar software development can serve as a tangible structural
underpinning
4) understanding Suagr's educational importance is a current focus
of this discussion list

discussion:

1) indicates that this list *will* discuss learning theories and not only
constructionism (previously it was just a feel good motherhood statement)
2)  "bridge" is replaced by "richer dialectic"

   - dialectic means interpenetration with the prospect of transformation
   - "richer" implies that there is already some mutually beneficial
   dialogue b/w the two communities
   - "overlapping" means that developers already have opinions on
   education and that some educators may already be developers or can
   contribute

3 and 4) no change from Walter's wording

I agree with Edward that the "bridge" metaphor is limited - as well as the
reason Edward gives (that a bridge assumes permanent separation) there is
also the reason that bridges tend to be built from known point A to known
point B - you can't build a bridge to a destination you haven't arrived at
yet

wrt Edward's list of constructionist software:
a) we shouldn't be prescriptive in an "about" statement
b) you can also have constructionist learning without any software at all -
if we are going to talk about what Sugar and the OLPC is good for then that
implies talking about things that it is not good for, ie. which can be
better done without computers