[Its.an.education.project] Another set of thoughts

Antoine van Gelder antoine at g7.org.za
Sat May 3 11:01:05 CEST 2008

On 03 May 2008, at 03:38, Samuel Klein wrote:

> Thanks for sharing these essays.  I still hold out hope that this
> book in its entirety will one day be available under a free license,
> as Squeak By Example is!
>
> On the subject of large questions, Antoine asks:
>
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Antoine van Gelder
> <antoine at g7.org.za> wrote:
>
> ...and one question:
>
> What is the goal of a project if it's an education project ?
>
> There's some relation here to questions about how much research and
> introspection is considered fundamental.

Absolutely.

I make the claim:

If a project is an education project then the only possible goal there
can be is number of students educated. In this view of the world
everything else becomes an intermediary objective needing to be
overcome in order to reach that goal. Important, necessary, but not
the goal.

Some minimum necessary conditions to meeting that goal:

1. Agreement, or at least respect, between project participants on
what is the meaning of the word 'educated'.   (Yes, you can laugh at
me and my unreasonable demands :-D)

2. Have some feedback mechanism for (most importantly)students and
(importantly)parents&teachers and (least importantly)'stakeholders' to
be able to gauge their own progress and, if necessary, correct course
on their educational journeys.
I rank these because if one does not rank them then no one asks
questions when the 'stakeholders' claim that it is most important that
a feedback mechanism work for the 'stakeholders' and it does not
matter if the feedback mechanism works for the students or not.

3. Be able to keep educating students now and in the future. It is not
enough to educated some students this year but not be able to educate
any more. This means that, at a minimum, folk working on the project
full-time need a place to sleep, food to eat and the tools they need
to make progress. So yes, you need some way of getting this whether
that be from donations or bartering/selling stuff.
This _also_ means that you can't do anything that will place you in a
risky position in the future even if it helps now!
So for e.g. if you depend on Microsoft Windows it's maybe working now
but you have no control over the impact on your educational mission of
future decisions made by a corporate machine which isn't accountable
to anyone (accountability presupposes control and show me one company
where the shareholders feel they can reliably control what will be
profitable year after year please!)

4. Educational materials children, parents and teachers can use to
learn. An educational material can be something as simple as Galileo's
lute which Dr Kay describes in his beautiful essay all the way to
something as complicated as:

   . an XO-1
   . with a bootstrap environment which the whole community can see
the source of so we can be sure it is not doing any monkey business
with our children now or in the future! (e.g. OpenFirmware, Linux,
SqueakNOS)
   . running software which makes collaboration a first-class UI
object in the OS (e.g. Sugar)
   . and an Internet connection (also see http://www.wizzydigital.org)
   . that can be used to create a learning space for our global
village which is:
     - free (as in beer),
     - open (as in libre')
     - communal (as in it belongs to each person who is helping to
nurture it!)

I think a lot of confusion and arguments can be cut short if all
participants spend some time to ask themselves the question:

"Education is a huge project, where do I see myself fitting in ?
Making laptops available, helping write software for children's
laptops, mentoring schools and students to make use of technology in
education, teaching children how to read and write, researching better
tools to help write software for children's laptops, helping ensure
that the necessary conditions for the big project of education don't
get lost in the mix or tactics for meeting them don't come into
conflict with each other, writing tutorials for helping children
understand Sugar better, making math&science more fun and easier to
understand, researching and making easy to communicating different
approaches to education than the existing prussian/taylorist model,
mentoring passionate teachers to become GREAT teachers, helping bake
bread to feed everyone working on the project etc. etc."

Myself, my own interests are more research than practical (for now!)
and has to do with what computers can do to help when children (of all
ages!) have a lot of difficulty getting quality time with really good
philosophy teachers and are also having to try and keep themselves
happy and curious inside a prussian/taylorist style education system.

  - a