[Its.an.education.project] Another set of thoughts

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Thu May 15 18:27:48 CEST 2008

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the link.

Can you comment on your experience with this curriculum and eToys in
general?

How well did this work? What was a challenge and what clicked with the
kids right away? Also, how much teacher engagement is needed? How
successful have you been in distributing this or other curriculum beyond
your immediate involvement?

In short, what do you suggest are the most important elements of
successful computer based learning tools?

A few comments on eToys from e-mail exchanges with XO sites:

- Nepal uses eToys solely as an authoring environment. Its available to
kids so over time we will see how many pick it up on their own. They
want to train teachers to use it too but haven't yet had time. See:
http://blog.olenepal.org/?s=etoy and
http://www.olenepal.org/activities_download.html

- Uruguay wants to use eToys but its not in Spanish yet. I think that
translation is underway but not sure of the details.

- Waveplace (http://waveplace.org/) used eToys and had the kids create
projects in the Virgin Islands. I think they plan to do the same in
Haiti with a French version.

That's FYI. You may already have all that input as I know these sites
work closely with the eToys organization directly.

A few comments from my experience:

- I loaded eToys and poked around while reading the quick start. It took
me over an hour to figure out that I need to press the alt key in
Windows to see the object viewer. After that I started a project example
and got a little further before getting sucked in to reading the e-mail
lists :-)

- My 11 years old son found scratch more accessible than eToys. That may
be due to the online site of Scratch examples or because of the UI and
focus on animation. However, after building and posting a few scratch
animations he is back to Age of Mythology and Never Winter Nights like
before. I just convinced him to play D&D with me so there's still hope
:-)

I'd like to learn as much as possible from your experience to help
decide what is the best UI for learning overall. I want to find the
right themes at the OS/shell level and the application/authoring
environment level.

I've read some comments from Alan about ~natural language vs.
computerese languages for programming. In addition to GUI, training, and
capabilities, any comments re: programming language appreciated.

Links to previous discussions or research also welcome. I've looked at
the surface of eToy/squeaks site but haven't read VPRI's site. Any
pointers to the most relevant info appreciated.

I'm a skeptic. I love learning the theory but I only believe something
after I see or hear it first hand. So any comments on real world
experience is especially helpful for me.

Thanks,

Greg S