[Its.an.education.project] What was your worst school experience? Construccionism could have been the answer?

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Sat May 3 02:24:51 CEST 2008

_*What was your worst school experience? Construccionism could have been
the answer?*_

Well... mine was not related to the way the school teach, or the way
that the teachers want we learn.  I don't think that damage nothing on
my brain (I think so!).

I am sit here thinking what was the worst experience... 5 minutes...
"prussian" experience... nothing to comment.  It was the university was
became a real boring and ugly thing: too many teachers that want to
justify their existence, their salary, their political position.  ok....
I got one!!!! Learning the chemical numbers related to each atom
(sorry... I don't know english language for chemistry!)... learning what
was the "atomic number" of this or that atom was  terrible, bad
experience, boring.   That "damage" my mind (and my spirit!).

Is there a construccionist way to learn the "atomic numbers" of all the
chemical atoms in the next 48 hours?  Experiments are nice... but that
doesnt teach you the whole table of elements!!!

But that happens when I was in University.  When I was a kid and I was
on first or 2nd grade it was fun to learn the "5 table"... (ok, now
today we all we will learn the number 5 table... repeat after me: 5 x 1
= 5;  5 x 2 = 10; .... ).  No pain, no damage, it was right.  There are
other ways.. yes, sure! I can imagine a few.  But... is "the method" the
BIG DEAL that will be an obcjetive ? I don't think so.

Let's give education.  In one way or another (I like construccionism...
it is a tool, a path, a way... like many other tools).
So... let's provide good teachers & good tools.  That is the base for
the "lemonade".  You want to add some "construccionism"... perfect! You
like more the "repetitive" way? ok, too! As far as you are a _good
teacher_ and have _the tools_ you will educate the children and we will
see results.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru

(oh... almost forgot... my worst primary and high school experience was
that I was a skinny rat... so all the big guys on the class try to
demonstrate his superiority in physical ways... well... I develop my
"learning by doing" reality show and I learn how to avoid those
dangerous situations in many ways... I was never hit because I didn't
mess with the big guys and I was a good fellow to them... stragety (I
had not read Sun Tzhu yet! but I was applying some survival tactics!
hahaha!).  Later, in the last years in high school and first years of
university, I went to a gim, got some grades in Judo and Karate (just to
compensate things) and I realize of the real power of words (more
powerfull that some big muscles...).  I was suspended once in my last
year in high school (due to a public speach about liberty against the
militars that rule my country on those years) and 3 times in the
university (because some teachers didn't like that I demand real
education and better information).  All those 4 times the top
authorities (in high school and university) reinstall me silently ("...
you come back... but you won't do waves again, ok?...").  Later I became
involved in a kidnapping (my father case), work with the police by 6
months until reaching the bad guys; became involved in the first
terrorist attack on my city, became dog trainer for police and army.
So, yes, that bad experience (feeling in danger in front of the big guys
in the primary and high school) damage my spirit (modify my conduct).
Today I can face the death directly to the eyes, fight alone against
many, or take any other risk that I was not able to do as a kid.
Compensation laws.  As an adult I have fought (legally) against one of
the 10 most powerfull companies in Peru and against one of the top 10
most powerfull men in Peru.  I won both cases.  Compensation laws again.

If some kid is reading this (my kids will!): some muscles doesn't hurt!
go to play something! :-)   (and... keep it secret.. girls like "muscled
boys" too! it is a bonus!)