[Its.an.education.project] Is this EDUCATION or Constructionism ? Are we watching the wood or the tree?

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Fri May 2 22:38:20 CEST 2008

If you are having the best of your days, plenty of peace and a warm
sunny light comes from your window... don't read!

Education is the name of the game. Not constructionism.  Education is
the goal.  Construccionism is ONE of the ways.
Not everything that a child will learn (needs to learn?) comes from
"construcionism" methods.  Sometimes "prussian" methods are the correct
ones.  But that is in the eyes of the observer and in the eyes
(perception) of the pupil.  Sometimes I can look something and say it is
a "Prussian" thing... but in the end it is "construcionism" without
using the word.

Construccionism is a very "big" word for such a normal thing that
happens all the time: human and mammals learning (most of the time
insects, fish and reptiles are born without the need to learn nothing,
the genetic that they carry is good enough for their survival to their
environment.  Mammals (humans!) are a totally different song).

I was educated in a low middle class school in Peru in the primary
school (6 to 10 years old).  We were hit with a ruler (in the hand) if
we don't know the maths assigned for that day.  Later I go to high
school (11 to 16 years old) and it was a private Jesuit school (the best
of the best education, top, selective, very expensive (thanks Dad!), I
was in the middle of the sons of the top peruvian society) and then it
was almost the same: learn this or... if you don't learn for this day...
then you go to the yard to run or you are punished with this or that
method (sometimes physical sometimes a demerit).  My nephew is in the
top peruvian school (if money and expensive teachers mean something!)
and it is the same: you do this or you dont get that.  As far as I don't
damage the kid (physically) and the teacher (trainer!) is just "acting"
(and not driven by the kids) then I can accept many strong issues.  My
point is: it is not "construccionism" or "prussian" what matters.  What
matters is the quality (capabilities) of the person that teach (or the
institution that teach) and the tools that they have to teach.

Example: here in Peru, until 10 years ago, military training was normal
in ALL high schools (for kids from 13 to 16 years old).  We learn to
march, turn right, turn left, carry a rifle (I know that maybe you are
turning nuts in this moment... but ask... I am not saying nothing but
the true).  Militar training was left because of goverment lack of money
(and sport training was left in the schools by the same reason, there is
no money.. then fire all specialized sport teachers and put the history
teacher (or the less fat one) to teach basketball or soccer).  Well...
militar training in high school can be seen as the best example of
"prussian" method... right ? Nope. Sorry.  It was our best opportunity
to learn ways to avoid that bored task, and at the same time it was the
best time to get in the first rows IF we are going to march in front of
a girl's high school that was near to our school.  So we were "learning"
by doing (in a "wise" sense for the eyes of a 15 years old kid!).
But... do you think that when I learn to turn to the right or to the
left I am just  the VICTIM of a prussian method? No way.  Even in that
case I am LEARNING to control my body, to do it with ACCURACY, to do it
with precision and correctness, I am learning to use my body.  Do you
think that when I assembly a gun I am the victim of some prussian
method? Nope.  I am learning by doing! once and again! assembly,
disassembly... This second point is: we, human beens (mammals) can not
escape from "learning by doing", it is in our nature (like the mammals
that we are).  Even in situations that look like "Prussian" methods we
are "learning by doing".  It happens from the ancient times and it will
be the same in the next millenniums.  So "construccionism" is not a
method of teaching or learning.  Construccionism is just an EXPLANATION
of human nature.

So... if you keep reading (what I strongly advise you don't do!)...  IF
construccionism is a natural thing and it will happen all the time then
we must focus on EDUCATION.  What education we want to give to these
children?  Not what education they will give themselves...

The mission should be "... Education and Opportunities for the
children..."... then add Open Source, working with stake holders,
freedom and human rights... Construccionism is nothing new, is just an
explanation of human nature, it is a description and not a method.

I didn't know the word "construccionism" with accuracy.  I knew about
Papert, Piaget, Montessori and many other people that has investigate
human and animal conduct and behaviour.  I have a deep knowledge about
mammals and behaviour.  After training more than 1,000 dogs (aprox.) for
search & rescue, police and war task, good behaviour, high dog sports
competition, I can guarantee that ALL is the hands of the trainer
(teacher) and it goes according with the tools (computers? books?
previous experience?) that are available.  Good method
(construccionism?) or bad method (prussian?) is not the key, the teacher
is the key (oh! my God! know I will be tortured by the Holly
Inquisition!! (smile)).  I prefer to put my dog (my kid) in the hands of
a good trainer (teacher) than in the hands of this or that training
(teaching) method.  What is a good trainer (teacher)???? Easy.  Read and
don't forget: the one that keeps cool and thinking all the time, a real
actor that is playing his or her role, one that can anticipate all the
pupil (dog or kid) movements and next steps, once that can correct with
the minimum effort and minimum damage (if there is some "horse" trainer
in the audience then he knows very well what I am talking about... and
if you have loose your temper trying to teach your dog just to sit...
then you are starting to understand what I am talking about.  If you are
thinking about that horse trainer that "talks" to the horse and doesnt
"break" horse's back... ask him about what happened to him when he went
to train horses to Argentina).

Well... I have put too much coffee on this Sugar... (I will keep my big
mouth in silence in the next hours!)

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru