[Its.an.education.project] Sugar talk at PyCon Due

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Fri May 2 19:01:58 CEST 2008

On 5/2/08, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Ciao,
>
> I asked for the opportunity to give a public talk about the Sugar
> spin-off within an annual Italian Python conference on May 9th-11th:
>
>  http://www.pycon.it/
>
> The conference, organized by volunteers with the support of my former
> company, is also endorsed by the municipality of Florence, and will
> begin with a keynote by Richard Stallman in the Room of the Five Hundred
> in Palazzo Vecchio:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Vecchio#Salone_dei_Cinquecento
>
> Notwithstanding my short notice, the organizers did their best to
> make this fit somehow.  There may be an opportunity for a short talk
> on Friday 9th, just before Richard's talk.  There's a second
> possibility as the last talk of Saturday evening, which lets us go
> on as long as we want with questions.
>
> In both cases, the event will be recorded and broadcast, so it's
> a wonderful opportunity to increase our visibility.  At this point
> we need to do more communication, or the press will keep repeating
> that a bunch of Linux fundamentalists are trying to sabotage
> Negroponte's educational project.
>
> Without knowing how much time we have I've tentatively set objectives
> as follows:
>
>  - Really short introduction of One Laptop Per Child, Sugar, and
>   Constructionism
>
>  - The subtle distinction between OLPC and olpc
>
>  - The OLPC mission, the 5 principles
>
>  - Summary of what Negroponte announced publicly, with a
>   few quoted excerpts
>
>  - Why this plan alienated employees, volunteers and grassroots
>   from the uppercase OLPC
>
>  - A few quotes from GregDeK, RMS, Walter Bender, etc.
>
>  - Who we are and what we are up to
>
>  - Call for help from the Python and FLOSS community
>
> How does it sounds?
>
> Walter, you are of course invited, and you should do the speech if you can.
> I'm not such a good speaker, and I think the ought to be given in English
> to reach the widest possible audience. Marco, same offer to you.  I'm going
> to do it only as the last resort :-)

What about a less confrontational message in the spirit of
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-April/005292.html ?

Instead of directly menacing with a fork or walk away, firmly
remembering that Sugar is too big to be perverted as a laptop-selling
tool may work better for the upcoming negotiations with OLPC.

Thanks,

Tomeu