[Its.an.education.project] Sugar talk at PyCon Due

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri May 2 17:24:57 CEST 2008

Ciao,

I asked for the opportunity to give a public talk about the Sugar
spin-off within an annual Italian Python conference on May 9th-11th:

  http://www.pycon.it/

The conference, organized by volunteers with the support of my former
company, is also endorsed by the municipality of Florence, and will
begin with a keynote by Richard Stallman in the Room of the Five Hundred
in Palazzo Vecchio:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Vecchio#Salone_dei_Cinquecento

Notwithstanding my short notice, the organizers did their best to
make this fit somehow.  There may be an opportunity for a short talk
on Friday 9th, just before Richard's talk.  There's a second
possibility as the last talk of Saturday evening, which lets us go
on as long as we want with questions.

In both cases, the event will be recorded and broadcast, so it's
a wonderful opportunity to increase our visibility.  At this point
we need to do more communication, or the press will keep repeating
that a bunch of Linux fundamentalists are trying to sabotage
Negroponte's educational project.

Without knowing how much time we have I've tentatively set objectives
as follows:

 - Really short introduction of One Laptop Per Child, Sugar, and
   Constructionism

 - The subtle distinction between OLPC and olpc

 - The OLPC mission, the 5 principles

 - Summary of what Negroponte announced publicly, with a
   few quoted excerpts

 - Why this plan alienated employees, volunteers and grassroots
   from the uppercase OLPC

 - A few quotes from GregDeK, RMS, Walter Bender, etc.

 - Who we are and what we are up to

 - Call for help from the Python and FLOSS community

How does it sounds?

Walter, you are of course invited, and you should do the speech if you can.
I'm not such a good speaker, and I think the ought to be given in English
to reach the widest possible audience. Marco, same offer to you.  I'm going
to do it only as the last resort :-)

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/