[Its.an.education.project] Another set of thoughts

Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at
Fri May 2 18:20:48 CEST 2008

Alan Kay <alan.nemo at yahoo.com> schrieb am 02.05.2008 15:33:50:

> At the risk of trying to talk about education, here is another
> little essay with a few observations...
>
> http://www.vpri.org/pdf/human_condition.pdf

Personally I think one of the most fundamental question that is still
waiting for an answer is: How are we going to teach 8-10 year old kids to
become sysadmins?

Sugar is great and it is about to become a wonderful environment to do any
form of collaborative work. But it?s also one of the most complex and
challenging systems I have seen to date from a sysadmin perspective.

Making it very, very hard to transition from the lovely Sugar-Gui world
too the harsh reality of Open Firmware boot prompts, Linux kernel
messages, SysV runtime levels, xorg.conf files, wifi standards and Avahi
multicasts announcements.

So you could end up with a system that is wonderful in teaching almost
everything except computers.  Because the only thing kids will learn about
computers is that sometimes they break, make you feel like a complete
idiot and that it's better not to change anything too avoid feeling like
being an idiot.

This ultimately leads to a situation where you either have to enable young
kids to understand pretty complex and high level system administration
stuff or need one dedicated computer geek per school you can offload any
computer related problem within a school (which would be the less ideal
solution).

cu andreas