[Its.an.education.project] Sugar talk at PyCon Due

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat May 3 03:32:42 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:

> On 5/2/08, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>
> At this point
> > we need to do more communication, or the press will keep repeating
> > that a bunch of Linux fundamentalists are trying to sabotage
> > Negroponte's educational project.

I don't think that's the general thrust of the press.  Making a focused
effort on negative comunication of any sort, no matter how righteous, is
just fodder for a press that doesn't much care for getting details straight.

> > Without knowing how much time we have I've tentatively set objectives
> > as follows:
> >
> >  - Really short introduction of One Laptop Per Child, Sugar, and
> >   Constructionism
> >
> >  - The subtle distinction between OLPC and olpc
> >
> >  - The OLPC mission, the 5 principles
> >
> >  - Summary of what Negroponte announced publicly, with a
> >   few quoted excerpts
> >
> >  - Why this plan alienated employees, volunteers and grassroots
> >   from the uppercase OLPC
> >
> >  - A few quotes from GregDeK, RMS, Walter Bender, etc.
> >
> >  - Who we are and what we are up to
> >
> >  - Call for help from the Python and FLOSS community
> >
> > How does it sounds?

That sounds a bit confrontational.  The FSF statement about OLPC struck me
as rather good and well-tempered.

Tomeu writes:

> What about a less confrontational message in the spirit of
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-April/005292.html ?
>
> Instead of directly menacing with a fork or walk away, firmly
> remembering that Sugar is too big to be perverted as a laptop-selling
> tool may work better for the upcoming negotiations with OLPC.

+1

 SJ