[Its.an.education.project] untangling constructionism

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri May 2 15:14:00 CEST 2008

Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at wrote:

> There are many educational concepts that are very similar to what Sugar
> would like to achieve (like the work of Maria Montessori or Celestin
> Freinet). These concepts and many others are currently ignored by the
> overall Sugar development.

Here in Italy we had Montessori's face printed on the 1000 Lire banknote
for years... but I was force-fed subjects I disliked when I went to school
and had to hide my computer books below the desk in order to study what I
liked.

Sorry for the rant... OLPC was supposed to be a medicine for this kind
of disease in education (in addition to the complete lack of education,
which is worse).  The lowercase olpc of which we are all part, still is.

> For an outside observer which is familiar with these concept this could
> lead to the conclusion that Sugar currently ignores ANY of the existing
> educational concepts (including constructionism).
>
> Nobody will expect a software developer to be an expert in something
> like the Montessori Method. But not having a basic understanding of them
> is like someone who would like to become a Linux Kernel hacker, but
> never has heard about the make command.

I think the contents of our wiki proves otherwise, but OLPC's wiki has
been somewhat hidden from outside observers.

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/