[Its.an.education.project] untangling constructionism

Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at
Fri May 2 13:45:54 CEST 2008

Hi Bernie!

Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> schrieb am 02.05.2008 11:15:41:
> /Please/, let's not re-discuss constructionism and freedom in this list.
> Sugar is an educational environment built around constructionism and it
> also happens to be free software.  Let's take this assertion as a matter
> of fact and discuss how it can be improved.

I agree with you. It doesn't make sense to spend hours discussing if
constructionism is the one and only way to do education or not.

But on the other hand it still puzzles me that there isn?t ANY discussion
about educational concepts and educational content at all (and I have lost
count on how many OLPC related mailing list I?m subscribed by now).

There are many educational concepts that are very similar to what Sugar
would like to achieve (like the work of Maria Montessori or Celestin
Freinet). These concepts and many others are currently ignored by the
overall Sugar development.

For an outside observer which is familiar with these concept this could
lead to the conclusion that Sugar currently ignores ANY of the existing
educational concepts (including constructionism).

Nobody will expect a software developer to be an expert in something like
the Montessori Method. But not having a basic understanding of them is
like someone who would like to become a Linux Kernel hacker, but never has
heard about the make command.

cu andreas