[IAEP] evaluation report about the nyc pilot

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jun 25 18:33:07 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 16:32 +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
> No problem, nice to have a chance to be of some use.

The most valuable aspect to me is the unfiltered aspect of the SOM.
When I browse a mailing list to see what is happening, I tend to read
the threads I am interested in more closely.  Having the SOM gives a
nice overview of What was of interest to the group as a whole.

> BTW: I do have intentions to use the SOM code for multi-document
> mapping. Goal would be to give a single page, automated overview of
> all major wiki content, and some navigation to quickly get there. Plan
> would be to treat each wiki page as a document and map it onto a space
> for all wiki pages, a visual content map with click-able links. I'm
> still pondering the features best to train the map on, the obvious one
> for me is the word association metrics I'm already using, but it could
> be useful to use in/out links as the features instead. Features would
> then be a large sparse matrix of links between pages**, should be
> quite doable for a single wiki.

Would you be interested in moving your work to the community hierarchy?
I don't know an exact sub hierarchy to put it under.  Maybe research?
Because it is looking at how the community communicates.

In that same vein, Jonathan Corbet is sending us the scripts he uses to
create 'Who Wrote the Linux Kernel.'  It will be interesting to see who
is paying the salaries of the Sugar commiters.

> ** I imaging the map this would produce would be islands/mountains of
> interconnected pages due to topic links, more related to the actual
> wiki structure. Using word association metrics would give a structure
> based more on the actual page content.
>
> --Gary
>
> P.S. David, did you see last weeks IAEP SOM? With it being such a
> quiet traffic week, your Wiki admin updates made you quite the focus
> of attention :-)
>
> 	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:2008-June-14-20-som.jpg

It made me wonder if you need to add a 'bozo' filter;

dfarning