[IAEP] new getting started guide

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 22:09:06 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 15:32 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> I've begun working on a new "Getting Started Guide" for Sugar that is
> both reflective of the new design found in Joyride and somewhat
> platform and distribution independent. Although I have only I'd love
> some feedback (See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Walter/sandbox).
> One convention I am using is to put some links inline to
> platform-specific details. Let me know if this mechanism is adequate /
> confusing / cumbersome / etc. Better yet, give me some better ideas on
> how to proceed. (I suppose as we grow, one could use a mechanism
> similar to the translation mechanism, with some sort of string
> substitutions and whole-sale duplicating of pages.)
>
> -walter

I think SJ made a very valid point when he suggested that we not
duplicate content between the wikis.

There is a rather long thread at
http://lists.lo-res.org/pipermail/its.an.education.project/2008-June/000884.html which makes several good points.

In Summary we should:

1. Decide how the content should be split up between the wikis.
2. Use interwiki links freely.
3. Follow the guidelines at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Transwiki#SugarLabs to move content
between the wikis.

Setting up the interwiki link is pretty easy but it does take someone
with privileges to the wiki database.

As for how to split the content, that is above my pay grade. But I do
have a couple of bots that can help mechanize the process.

Thanks
Dfarning