[IAEP] sugar on standard laptops

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Jun 12 18:29:41 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:18 +0200, Ivan Krstić wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > If we ever get to a point where the majority of the core Sugar
> > development team is not related to OLPC, and there are good reasons to
> > split it off, it might be a good idea.
>
> I should have been clearer, sorry. I actually have no opinions about
> how the OLPC/SugarLabs split should work. My message was merely saying
> that if a normal upstream/distribution vendor model is adopted,
> separate bugtrackers are the usual practice.
>
> Not clear to me at all what will will work best for all concerned and exactly when; we are currently working through the support channels from school, to country, to OLPC, all the way up to developers.

Certainly, as time passes, we'll face the "stale downstream" problem as
well.  I would guess eventually, it will make sense for separate
trackers to be used.

But I think taking a bit of wait and see attitude for a bit is in order
without preconceptions, and making presumptions based on rapidly
changing circumstances is hazardous.  By this fall, I think we'll have a
much better feeling when/if separate trackers make sense.
                                - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child