[IAEP] Sugar Labs mission statement.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 17:52:56 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> The way I had been using platform is somewhere in between: not
> OS-specific, but not all aspects of the ecosystem, which would even
> include low-power, alternative energy, etc. These are important, but
> outside of the scope of Sugar Labs, IMHO.

Well, then, whose scope is it in? Earth Treasury takes a much more
inclusive view of the overall mission, as in "whatever it takes"
rather than "the bits I would prefer to work on". Thus, textbooks,
curricula, electricity, Internet connectivity, microfinance, linking
schools, teaching children business...

We are accepting volunteers, resources, and ideas. Anyone care to help
us with a Web site?

> ---
>
> The Sugar learning platform reinvents how computers can be used for
> education: it promotes sharing, collaborative learning, and
> reflection. Through Sugar's clarity of design, children and their
> teachers have the opportunity to use computation on their own terms;
> they are free to reshape, reinvent, and reapply both software and
> content into powerful learning activities. Sugar is a community
> project; it is available under the open-source GNU General Public
> License (GPL) to anyone who wants to extend it.
>
> Sugar Labs is a non-profit foundation whose mission is to produce,
> distribute, and support the use of the Sugar learning platform; it
> serves as a support base and gathering place for the community of
> educators and software developers who want to extend the platform and
> who have been creating Sugar-compatible applications.
>
> ---
>
> The details can be found on http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs.
>
> -walter
>

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> David Farning wrote:

>>> I am reluctant to start enumerating specific groups in the community.  I
>>> welcome anyone who shares the goals of 'building an educational platform
>>> based on the principles of collaboration, reflection, discovery.'

Inclusion is the issue, not enumeration.

>> How would you define "platform". Is it specific as in OS, or generic as
>> in "ecosystem"?
>>
>> Sameer
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor of Information Systems
>> San Francisco State University
>> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
>> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
>> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

>>> Sugar Labs is a community project;)  If anyone is not happy with the
>>> community direction 'patches are welcome.'

What does that mean in practice? I'm willing to work on these issues,
and have proposed several such projects in the past. But now I am told
again that my ideas are "out of scope".

>>> thanks
>>> dfarning

--
Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.