[IAEP] Sugar Labs mission statement.

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 08:47:43 EDT 2008

The way I had been using platform is somewhere in between: not
OS-specific, but not all aspects of the ecosystem, which would even
include low-power, alternative energy, etc. These are important, but
outside of the scope of Sugar Labs, IMHO.

---

The Sugar learning platform reinvents how computers can be used for
education: it promotes sharing, collaborative learning, and
reflection. Through Sugar's clarity of design, children and their
teachers have the opportunity to use computation on their own terms;
they are free to reshape, reinvent, and reapply both software and
content into powerful learning activities. Sugar is a community
project; it is available under the open-source GNU General Public
License (GPL) to anyone who wants to extend it.

Sugar Labs is a non-profit foundation whose mission is to produce,
distribute, and support the use of the Sugar learning platform; it
serves as a support base and gathering place for the community of
educators and software developers who want to extend the platform and
who have been creating Sugar-compatible applications.

---

The details can be found on http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs.

-walter