[IAEP] Sugar Labs mission statement.

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Aug 24 03:06:09 EDT 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The way I had been using platform is somewhere in between: not
>> OS-specific, but not all aspects of the ecosystem, which would even
>> include low-power, alternative energy, etc. These are important, but
>> outside of the scope of Sugar Labs, IMHO.
>>

> Well, then, whose scope is it in? Earth Treasury takes a much more
> inclusive view of the overall mission, as in "whatever it takes"
> rather than "the bits I would prefer to work on".

I agree with Walter on this one. The scope of what Sugarlabs addresses
should lie within what the Sugar platform does. So, for instance, if we
want to run Sugar on an XO, or a Eee PC, the power saving mechanisms
shouldn't be something Sugarlabs should have to address. Those bits
should come from the underlying OS, be in Linux, BSD or even Windows.

Sameer