[math4] Fortune Hunter chain

Jonathan Meschino (RIT Student) jam2707 at rit.edu
Tue Dec 14 15:43:09 EST 2010

Konichiwa Jon-san

Otsukaresamadesu.

---->With your kind help and clear instructions, I was able to build and run
the game on my Ubuntu machine (after installing pygame, sugar, and resolving
many conflicts due to version issues) but it was worth it. I enjoyed it.

----> I also made the code work with pdb (Python debugger) and just went
through the code. Probably , I will make the sequence diagrams if they are
not made yet. This will clear my understanding and will be helpful for
others as well.

----> Another problem manifested itself when I run the game on my Ubuntu
machine, I cannot go beyond the first screen (by first screen I mean, I
select Adventure game, enter my name and then there is a screen in which I
see a door---- MAFH.activity/assets/images/environment/desert/F.gif) I think
it is related to me playing the game on Ubuntu rather than XO so need to
figure the controls out on the keyboard. I know for sure it is working as
when I press 'm' key, another window pops up, so basically my key presses
are responded , so the app has not hung.

-----> Seeing how it might be related to not playing game on XO, I got a
pre-configured XO virtual machine after a bit of googling (
http://dev.laptop.org/pub/virtualbox/) . As expected, I did not have to
install pygame , sugar and need not worry about version conflicts etc. I
installed git, got the source code, and when I ran - "python file.py" (just
like the way I did in Ubuntu machine), I got this error:

No module named FortuneEngine.GameEngine   (which is understandable as I
checked, there was no .pyc file inside fortuneengine directory)

I guess I need to run the setup.py files (A quick grep gave 2 possible
locations - one in FortuneMaker and another in Mafh.activity) I run both
using the command - python setup.py but I got another error:

bundlebuilder.start takes at least 1 argument , 0 given.

I checked the code in setup.py and saw that this module is imported from
sugar , and not our code , so that pretty much rules out backward
compatibility issues. Since sugar came preinstalled with the machine, I
guess it is because my machine is very old?

I will check with some new virtual XO machine , I guess that should fix the
problem and let you know the result, meanwhile you are always welcoem to
give your comments

Now the questions part :)

--->Is there any document which describes the keyboard mappings, the .docx
document at fortune_hunter/docs lists the key mapping from an XO device.
Something similar along those lines? This will help me save the trouble of
configuring the XO machine and I can move ahead with the Ubuntu one.

---> What do I need to do to generate .pyc files of GameEngine (perhaps it
is something I did on Ubuntu machine but forgot to do in XO one)

--> Is my analysis correct?

Karlie,
Thank you so much for offering me XO, I will ask for it when I believe I
deserve it, right now, being a complete newbie (even my IRC name is this) I
guess there are others who deserve it more than I do. Sincere thanks for
your help at every stage.

regards
-Ankit

 Reply to all
Reply to all
Jonathan Meschino (RIT Student) to Ankit, Remy, karlie
show details 3:31 PM (8 minutes ago)
Ankit-san konichiwa!

      I am glad you got things moving along. The way that the repository is
set up is that fortune engine is a submodule (a git within a git) so that we
can update the game's engine independently of Fortune Hunter. The reason for
this? Well, we took out the engine so that it could be used for other games
in the future (a couple projects have taken it and adapted it for their use
nicely). This way, projects can start with our engine and work from there.
All you should need to do is run a submodule update and it will pull the
game engine files. I apologize for forgetting to mention this in the
previous email : /    As far as the specifics in your environment, I'm not
100% sure how-to, but I know Justin (jlew) knows for sure. He'll also be
able to troubleshoot all of the remaining technical issues/concerns you
have. I will bring him up to speed and send your email. What I *can *help
you with is the controls documentation for the game. You can find info here
-
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Fortune_Hunter/Game_Mechanics#Console_Input_.28default.29
.
I realize the keyboard controls don't match what is written there precisely
(what's written is our goal for controls). I have updated that section to
include the current keyboard mapping. ; )  Thank you for pointing that out.
I think I wrote them all correctly, but you still may find some differences.
And as always, feel free to ask more questions about anything and
everything; I am here to help. I am very happy to have you as part of the
team. If you look here -
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Fortune_Hunter/Developer's_Corner#Active_Members
you
will see a list of members. This list needs fixing (i got lost in the WML
code when i was updating it), but please add yourself to it if you are able,
otherwise you may add your name in that first sentence (and we'll fix it
later). One last thing, anything on the wiki you wish to be clearer or you
have trouble finding or would like to change, you may do so or you can
contact me and I will work on it.

Much appreciated!   domo arigato gozaimasu!
     ~Jon

 ~ jON mESCHINO
    bS vIDEO gAME dESIGN & dEVELOPMENT (igm)
    5TH yR @ RIT