[Dextrose] How does "Modem Configuration" feature work in dextrose-builds-without-gnome?

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:10:05 EDT 2011

Hi Martin.

I have been working on making custom changes for Afghanistan deployments;
disabling 3G access is one of them.

As the resolution for this, the permissions for "*usr/sbin/modem-manager*"
have been set to  0000, and the change tested on a f14 image with gnome.
Following were the test cases that were carried out :

a. Checked if *"ps -aux | grep "modem-manager*" gave anything.
    It didn't, as expected.
b. Although the option to add a new modem connection *via GUI* was
available through nm-applet; however no connection could actually be
instantiated in practise, as expected.

I then moved on to checking on dextrose-builds-without-gnome (f11 based)
*
It was found that** there is no "/usr/sbin/modem-manager" on
dextrose-builds-without-gnome (although "usr/sbin/NetworkManager" was
present*)

So, my queries are ::

1. How does the "Modem Configuration" feature work in
dextrose-build-without-gnome?
    This is important, as additional customization may need to be done to
disable all 3G access attempts.

2. Is it possible to have a (3G) modem connection in
dextrose-build-without-gnome at all?

Looking forward to a reply.

(Thanks Anish, for pointing me to Martin.)

Regards,
Ajay