[Dextrose] How does "Modem Configuration" feature work in dextrose-builds-without-gnome?

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:06:08 EDT 2011

Hello!

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Ajay Garg <ajaygargnsit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin.
>
> I have been working on making custom changes for Afghanistan deployments;
> disabling 3G access is one of them.

Interesting, whenever you have the time I would like to hear the reason
behind that decision. I am curious :)

> As the resolution for this, the permissions for "*usr/sbin/modem-manager*"
> have been set to  0000, and the change tested on a f14 image with gnome.
> Following were the test cases that were carried out :
>
> a. Checked if *"ps -aux | grep "modem-manager*" gave anything.
>     It didn't, as expected.
> b. Although the option to add a new modem connection *via GUI* was
> available through nm-applet; however no connection could actually be
> instantiated in practise, as expected.
>

> I then moved on to checking on dextrose-builds-without-gnome (f11 based)
> *
> It was found that** there is no "/usr/sbin/modem-manager" on
> dextrose-builds-without-gnome (although "usr/sbin/NetworkManager" was
> present*)

I think there was no modem-manager integration back in NM 0.7 (the one
available for f11).

So, my queries are ::

> 1. How does the "Modem Configuration" feature work in
> dextrose-build-without-gnome?
>     This is important, as additional customization may need to be done to
> disable all 3G access attempts.

It is because of NM architecture, at least until version 0.7+, the
"settings management" service was implemented inside nm-applet, and since
there is no nm-applet in sugar, sugar implements its own "settings
management" service (take a look at
...source/sugar/src/jarabe/model/network.py to see the implementation).

That implementation uses custom gconf values (different from gnome ones) to
store the 3G/GSM setting (note that only stores 1 setting for 3G/GSM).

Because of what I just explained, there is no relation between gnome and
sugar settings (for 3G/GSM and WIFI).

2. Is it possible to have a (3G) modem connection in
> dextrose-build-without-gnome at all?

Yes (I just explained why).

> Looking forward to a reply.

No problem, take a look at