[ASLO] ASLO Digest, Vol 85, Issue 21

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 09:44:39 EDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 2:36 AM, Tony Anderson <tony at olenepal.org> wrote:

> Hi, Walter
>
> My statisitics for github links in activity.info is 9 of 632 (3 of those
> to those to the Sugarlabs githbub). Starting from the other end, there
> are 137 activities in the SugarLabs github. Unfortunately there is no
> release information in GitHub so it is impossible to know whether the
> version in GitHub corresponds to the current version in ASLO. Of these 60
> did not work in Ubuntu Sugar (but I may have tested an earlier version and
> the problem found has been fixed.). There are, of course, discrepancies.
> For example, there is a tamtam repository but I have no way to know how
> that relates to the four TamTam activities. MusicBlocks has a repository
> but is not in ASLO. However, TurtleBlocks does not (apparently you have a
> private one).
>
> My plan is to focus testing on these 137 activities (this excludes the
> core eight which I consider a part of Sugar).

I think we need to formalize a process for updates now that many activities
are hosted from the Sugar Labs team as opposed to individual maintainers. I
know that I have lost track of many of the activities I wrote/maintained
since the transition (in part because I seem to get very spotting
notifications from GitHub about PRs, issues, etc.)

Re Turtle, the Python version(s) are in ASLO. I don't recall ever putting
the JS version there since it was somewhat redundant; Music Blocks has not
been packaged for ASLO, in part because the synth was not working with the
Browse activity. That may be resolved on recent versions of Browse. I will
have to test.

I am still confused and put off by the process of adding Apps to Sugarizer
and have no idea if Lionel plans to incorporate ASLO or maintain his own
repositories -- my impression is that one installs Sugarizer and all Apps
in one package and new Apps only come in when the entire package is updated.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs