[ASLO] ASLO Digest, Vol 85, Issue 21

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Thu Apr 13 22:42:25 EDT 2017

Hi Walter,

I made a pass through the 137 activities. In each case the latest
version (as shown in github) is in ASLO. However, in many cases that
version is not visible on the ASLO page. Strangely, the current version
is often shown in the link to 'an earlier version'. This, of course,
means that visitors to ASLO will in many cases be downloading an
obsolete version. In a few cases, the activity.info committed in github
shows a version like 26.3 although the version in ASLO shows version 27.
This makes it difficult to be sure that the most recent version
committed in github is the same as the one to be downloaded from ASLO.

There was a lot of activity on GitHub early in 2016 apparently motivated
by GCI. In several cases the activities were upgraded to GTK3 but
retained the same version number. This, of course, means again that
visitors to ASLO will not realize a need to download a new version.

My remark on Turtle Blocks is that the source does not have a github
repository under Sugar Labs.

In the short run, I think we should put these activities in GitHub (and
ASLO) as Sugar Web activities. Lionel can sort out how to incorporate
them in Sugarizer releases. Since Sugarizer is installed in Android as a
single app, I can see that he would have difficulty in maintaining
separate releases of activities. Perhaps, he can address this issue
first with the server version.

Today, I hope to start testing current versions of activities in this
group of 137 that failed on Ubuntu Sugar and see if the problems have
been corrected or are correctable.

A number of the github commit messages refer to adding 64 bit binaries.
Again as part of the ASLO problem - the 'Works with' needs to show
restrictions on activities such as 'requires accelerometer, works only
with XO-4'.

I am not sure how we can handle an activity where the same version
(update level) requires different bundles for Ubuntu amd64 and XO. The
trick used in GCI of testing the platform means that a bundle needs to
have binaries for multiple architectures. Given the restricted amount of
storage, this may not be practical.

Tony