[Systems] wiki.sugarlabs.org relocation

Josh Williams josh at tucson-labs.com
Wed May 12 10:24:28 EDT 2010

On 5/10/10 11:22 PM, Frederick Grose wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Josh Williams <josh at tucson-labs.com
> <mailto:josh at tucson-labs.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/9/10 2:12 PM, Frederick Grose wrote:
>
>>     hidden links border shows through an image (at the top),
>>     http://wiki-testing.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved
>
> Did we have to sacrifice the 'border-bottom' link decorations in order
> to hide them on the hidden links?

We don't have to, but it was just the simplest/quickest fix I could come
up with.
> They were really nice for readability compared to the standard
> underline, which interfere with the descenders on the text.
> We can define a new class in a template for embedding links behind
> images and then go back and keep the
> 'border-bottom' link decorations.  I've tested this in wiki-devel, see
> http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved#Join_Sugar_Labs
> where I surrounded the whole table with <div class="noborder"> table
> and convenient template) until a cleaner solution is found or implemented.

This is fine with me. You could even ad that class to the table. I think
a more viable solution would be to use Jquery to ad a class="image" to
any anchor tag that has an image as the first child. Then style that
with css to not have a border.

>>     table & cell borders do not show when requested (with
>>     class="wikitable" here).
>>     http://wiki-testing.sugarlabs.org/go/Supported_systems#Starch
>>     (This is an accessibility issue with those using screen readers. See
>>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Table#Caveats.)
>
>  The table header or first row is not showing cell borders yet.

Fixed.

>>     plainlinks css hijacks all divs and spans with plainlinks
>>     (planet.sugarlabs.org <http://planet.sugarlabs.org>).
>>     http://wiki-testing.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Current_Events
>>     Can we define a new class, such as 'linkgroup' to
>>     control the colored link bars.
>>
>>     Iframe border=1 does not show.
>>     http://wiki-testing.sugarlabs.org/go/Widget:Iframe
>

> I see the border around the frame, but it doesn't produce the
> 'indented' appearance as it does if you shift the skin to Vector.

It was set to 1 pixel inset so you might not have noticed the depressed
look. It's styled the same way now.

> Collapsible sections are not working now.
> We use these to show embedded Iframes such as on
> http://wiki-testing.sugarlabs.org/go/Getting_Started#The_Sugar_Learners.27_manual
> (click the [show] link that appears while using Vector)
> and at http://wiki-testing.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs#Local_Labs in
> the Local Labs wiki portal.

It looks like a javascript file isn't being called or it's not working
properly. I haven't been able to figure out what's going on with this yet.
> The code is like this:
> portal''' </div><div class="NavContent">
> Content stuff

>     Thanks for testing and feedback Fred! I believe I've addressed
>     everything you mentioned, but I'm not really sure what to do about
>     the plain links. I overrode the inline styles for plainlinks so it
>     would match the color scheme of the site. I can remove these
>     styles if you think that's best.
>

> Well, the styles are more a matter of taste. We'll have a chance to
> hear more settled comments on that, once we have all the technical
> stuff out of the way and people can view things as intended and see
> how everything works.
>
> The technical issue is that the class="plainlinks" is used for other
> purposes, such as hiding the special link-type icons where one wants a
> simpler appearance.
>
>     plainlinks css hijacks all divs and spans with plainlinks
>     (planet.sugarlabs.org <http://planet.sugarlabs.org>).
>
>     http://wiki-testing.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Current_Events
>

> The planet.sugarlabs.org <http://planet.sugarlabs.org> link is now
> hidden in white text by the css
>
>     Can we define a new class, such as 'linkgroup' to control the
>     colored link bars.
>

> We can just substitute class="plainlinks" with class="linkgroup" in
> the css and on the page content and we should have a new identifier
> for that style of link header.  I've tested this on wiki-devel,
> http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki.

Okay, I get it now. Yes let's use link group, that makes much more sense.

>     Also there's an empty html <p> tag on the front page that leaves a
>     gap between the p-cactions and plain links. I'm not sure where to
>     remove this html as I can't seem to find it in the shikiwiki.php file:
>

> I moved the 'magic words',
> __NOEDITSECTION__
> __NOTOC__
> below the plainlinks header and now the gap is due to <div
> id="contentSub"></div>, but looks ok.

Thanks!

Josh